Fairford Town Football Club was formed in 1891 and for many years played in the Cirencester & District League against local teams with varying degrees of success.
After the second world war the club joined the Swindon & District League, winning the Premier Division in both 1964/65 and 1968/69, also winning the Advertiser Cup in the same years, and in 1962/63 won the Gloucestershire Junior Cup.
Success in the Swindon & District League was followed by election to the Hellenic League in 1970, only missing promotion from the first division on goal average at the first attempt, the club were also beaten finalists in that year’s division one Challenge Cup.
The following year, 1971/72 saw Fairford win the Hellenic first division and division one Challenge Shield, whilst the reserve side won the Gloucestershire County Minor Cup, the Advertiser Cup and finished runners-up in the Swindon & District Division One.
The successful run continued and Town were the beaten finalists of 1972/73 in the Premier Division Cup, only to be relegated back to Division One in 1973/74.
Fairford Town were again promoted in 1975/76 and steady progress led to the Premier Division Runners-up in 1978/79 and 1979/80, also winning the Premier Division Cup in 1978/79.
The Club were winners of the Gloucestershire Challenge Trophy in 1979/80 and 1998/99 and Runners-up in 1982/83 and 1994/95.
The most recent league success has been Premier Division Runners-up in season 1994/95 following a similar position in Season 1990/91. The Club has also achieved numerous wins in the Arthur Shipway Cup and Fairford Hospital Cup.
The 2016/17 season saw the club secure a return to the Uhlsport Hellenic Premier Division after a five-year absence, winning the Division One West title with 75 points.