Report: Letcombe 1 Fairford Town 0

FAIRFORD Town saw their 12-game unbeaten league run come to an end with an away day defeat at Letcombe.

The last Fairford league loss was the opening game of the season on 2nd August at Abingdon, but Gareth Davies saw his side lose out to a determined Letcombe effort – and the home side more than deserved their win which came courtesy of a goal from Gavin Jones just before the hour mark.

The visitors were missing Jason Milhench, serving the first of a two game suspension, and went into the fixture having not played since the 17-0 win over Cheltenham Saracens on Saturday 10th December. And it showed with the visitors never really getting into their stride on a bitterly cold Oxfordshire afternoon.

New recruit Sean Wood was handed his first start in Fairford colours with Scott Chilcott missing. Levi Cox had the first opening of the game but his ninth minute drive was well held by Danny Joyce in the Letcombe goal.

The hosts then wasted a golden opportunity on 22 minutes but the ball found the side netting with the goal gaping.

Playing down the slope, Fairford failed to really test Joyce further in the opening 45 minutes and both teams went in level after Letcombe had seen further good openings go begging at the other end.

Joyce then made a good low stop to deny Josh Morse before the hosts worked the only goal of the game. A long ball forward made its way to Jones, who finished well low under the advancing Fairford ‘keeper.

It was a deserved lead and the Gloucestershire side reacted with chances coming – and going – for Cox, Morse and Lee Smith who could find no way past a resolute Letcombe rearguard.

Nathan Blackford, Fairford’s man of the match, made a number of driving runs forward but his efforts were in vain after what was a lacklustre overall performance from the promotion chasers.

The Reds now head to Purton on New Year’s Eve (12pm) before hosting Abingdon United at Cinder Lane on Saturday 7th January (3pm).

F/T: Letcombe 1 Fairford Town 0


You may also like...